yours and mine -- procrastination rules!

4.06.2008

meme time

i stole this meme from VBG, so enjoy.

The rules:

-- Pick 10 (or so) of your favorite movies.
-- Find, remember, or look up a quote from each movie.
-- Post them here for everyone to guess.
-- Strike it out (not really sure yet how i'll mark them, but i'll mark them)
-- NO googling or cheating by doing an online search. Cheaters never prosper.
-- Commenters should share the fun and only guess one movie.

so, here they are, give it a go, and we'll see what happens.

edit: as of right now (3:16 am central time on 4-12-08), all movies not yet identified are getting an extra quote. that includes the two people have said they know but haven't indentified yet.

addendum to edit: so, after 8 days with the second quotes, there's still one movie left. so, what shall i do? give you a third quote. that better do the trick because if i have to hunt down a forth quote, we're having a movie night for sure. so, will it break the tie for the lead, or will someone else get it and keep the tie alive?

1. “Geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time. That, and a big god-damned poster.”

“That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.”

Danger came back to say that this one is The Shawshank Redemption.

2. “Salsa shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat! Man goes into cage, cage goes into salsa. Shark's in the salsa. Our shark.”

the apathetic one snagged this one from Clerks. and it's a good thing, too. i didn't have a second quote prepared for this one since two people had said they knew it.

3. “I figure fuck it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.”

“Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill you. That's not a threat. Now, that's a fact. I'll fuckin' kill you.”

danger worked out that these are from Good Will Hunting, tying the apathethic one. sorry, bibliophile, that means you're out of the prize running.

4. “That house is not fit to live in. No one's been able to live in it. It doesn't want people.”

the bibliophile picked this one as being from The Changeling. if you don't know what that is, go find it and watch it. it's from like 1980 and has goerge c. scott in it. it's great. i think she only knew it because she knew i loved the movie enough one of them had to be from it.

5. “I felt his presence. He's come for me. He can feel when I'm near. That's why I have to go. As long as I stay, I'm endangering the group and our mission. I have to face him.”

the bass commando recognized this from Return of the Jedi. that is my favorite star wars movie, proving that i really am a girl. in my experience guys prefer empire, while chicks tend to favor jedi.

6. “I insist that all women who have hysterics in my drawing room call me by my Christian name.”

“Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.”

“Husbands die every day, -------. Why... one is probably dying right now while you're sitting here weeping. They die... and leave their wives their money. I should know, shouldn't I? Sometimes they're driving home from their mistress' apartment and their brakes suddenly fail.”
(note: the dashes replace a name, a very important name, which is why i edited it out)

woo freaking hoo! someone (the bibliophile) finally nailed this one as Dolores Claiborne, even if she can't spell it. so, the tie stands and i gotta figure out how to devide the spoils.

7. “Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!”

VBG knew that this is from 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?

8. “The LePetomane Thru-Way? Now what'll that asshole think of next? Does anybody have a dime? Somebody has to go back and get a shitload of dimes.”

“No, thank you. Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben.”

the apathetic one worked out that this is from Blazing Saddles. she's really showing everyone else up.

9. “Hey! Don't say shit like that to me. People can hear you.”

danger recognized this one from 10 Things I Hate About You.

10. "All gay men have track lightin'. And all gay men are named Mark, Rick, or Steve."

the apathetic one pegged this one as Steel Magnolias. not the person i was expecting to get that one, but what the hell.

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

I'm going to take 7, O Brother Where Art Thou. I also know #2, but I'll give others a chance.

I think I need to see the movie that #1 came from, because that is some funny shit.

4/06/2008 11:01 AM

 
Blogger norahs1213 said...

Ok, I know 2, 9, and 10 right off the bat, and possibly after coming back to this a few more times I may get a couple more (but maybe not, who knows), but I should only claim one, right? So...10 is Steel Magnolias.

And, yes, I too wish to know from whence came 1, and 3.

4/06/2008 12:07 PM

 
Blogger bibliophile81 said...

I'm not sure about any of them, but I think #4 is, oh yeah, The Changling. Do not acuse me of cheating; it's not like I didn't know about your obsession with this movie before last night.

I knew I'd heard #10, but I didnt' know where. I'd actually thought the one mentioning hysterics might have been from Steel Magnolias, but it didn't feel quite right.

4/06/2008 12:13 PM

 
Blogger basscomm said...

Number 5 is Return of the Jedi. That and O Brother Where Art Thou are the only movies on your list I've seen.

I should maybe work on that.

4/06/2008 9:27 PM

 
Blogger rabidmonkey said...

i really doubt those are the only two you've seen. i haven't watched any of the others with you or anything, so i can't swear to that, but i doubt it.

3 is something most people have seen, you guys just must not be remember that scene, and i'd be a little surprised if you hadn't seen #2.

4/07/2008 2:29 AM

 
Blogger rabidmonkey said...

okay, we should probably give everyone else a day or 2 to bother checking the blog (i checked my stats, and none of my other regular readers have been here since i posted this), but any movies not correctly guessed by friday night or so will get a second quote. so by then you should guess a second movie if you know it.

4/08/2008 3:26 PM

 
Blogger J-Dog said...

dude, I so suck at this
I'm thinking of cheating just so I wont look this stupid LOL
yeah, i have no idea

4/08/2008 3:38 PM

 
Blogger Danger said...

#9 - Ten Things I Hate About You

4/10/2008 5:25 PM

 
Blogger Danger said...

I know #1, too. Can I name more than one movie?

4/10/2008 5:31 PM

 
Blogger rabidmonkey said...

okay, we're only half way there (as in 5 have been identified) so if you know a second movie, go for it. all movies not indentified by tommorrow night will get an extra quote.

4/10/2008 11:07 PM

 
Blogger norahs1213 said...

All right....2 is Clerks. I have a guess about 8, but I'll go with what I know.

4/11/2008 2:08 PM

 
Blogger norahs1213 said...

But....if no one else gets 8 in a day or so, I'm all over it, since I figured it out...finally. I almost wish I could take 2 back....but oh well.

4/11/2008 5:45 PM

 
Blogger norahs1213 said...

Ok, I gave people over a day, so....8 is Blazing Saddles. And I really didn't need the second quote, just a long time with the first. (I had to imagine the line being said, and was like "Now, whose voice is that??")

4/12/2008 10:42 PM

 
Blogger Danger said...

#1 - The Shawshank Redemption.

4/17/2008 4:53 PM

 
Blogger rabidmonkey said...

only 2 more left, 3 and 6. is anyone going to guess them, or am i gonna need third quotes for them?

4/18/2008 12:17 AM

 
Blogger Danger said...

I don't recognize #3, but Patriots~Boston + contruction workers makes me think Good Will Hunting.

4/19/2008 12:40 PM

 
Blogger bibliophile81 said...

Yeah... yeah... #3 is without a doubt Good Will Hunting. *sigh*

4/20/2008 1:10 PM

 
Blogger bibliophile81 said...

I dunno. Three quotes and still... I dunno.

4/23/2008 9:56 AM

 
Blogger rabidmonkey said...

the funny part is, i used the first quote i did becuase i thought the second one i used would be too obvious. surely everyone would know that line.

4/24/2008 4:30 AM

 
Blogger Danger said...

I have no idea what #6 is. Maybe you could give us another hint?

5/04/2008 4:27 PM

 
Blogger rabidmonkey said...

this movie has something in common with #1. of the serious assload of movies (and miniseries) that have that thing in common i've only cared for 4-5. the other one of those that might have made this list was stand by me, but it doesn't really have any awesome quotes, and i wanted to avoid having 3 movies with a common thread anyway.

is that a good enough hint?

5/05/2008 2:46 AM

 
Blogger norahs1213 said...

For the record, I have never seen "Stand By Me" or "The Shawshank Redemption" (though I currently live close to the prison it was filmed in). So, we're gonna go with I haven't seen the movie in 6, either. I'm not even sure what "common thread" you're talking about!

5/08/2008 3:55 PM

 
Blogger rabidmonkey said...

hmm...i'd try to fix that for you, but that's a long trip just to force a movie on someone. so just do yourself a favor and go rent shawshank, it's awesome.

5/08/2008 11:10 PM

 
Blogger bibliophile81 said...

Having finally remembered a key piece of information,I've made the connection between Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me. I can also say that the last unclaimed movie, # whatever it says, is Delores Claiborn.

5/13/2008 6:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home