yours and mine -- procrastination rules!

4.02.2007

can i get a rush on that check?

so, i love the earned income credit. you see, i don't make very much money. while i like my current job more than most, if not all, the other crappy retail jobs i've had before, i generally get less hours now than i ever have before, including when my availability was only 3 days a week. yes, i know i need a different/additional job, but i keep applying to no avail, so for now i'm stuck. because i make so little money, i don't actually have to pay federal taxes, in fact i never have. i pay them, but i just get everything back on my return. but when you don't make squat, that's still not very impressive. the nice thing this year is that i'm too old to be considered a dependent in any way, so i can get an EIC. i'm actually getting more than twice what i paid in back.

knowing that i'd be getting this money i was trying to decide what splurge it would facilitate. the two things i had narrowed it down to were new glasses or a trip to the dentist. i must say i was leaning toward glasses though because the one thing i need most from the dentist is my wisdom teeth removed, and since the bottom ones probably aren't in far enough to pull, that would mean surgery, and the check just isn't that big.

i've been needing new glasses for a while now, as mine are 5.5 years old. yes, i know, that's horrible and all that, but remember that i'm poor and have certain special issues that resulted in my current glasses totaling up to about $300. basically, i have a metal allergy and the only thing i can wear is titanium. i've never tried plastic frames, but plastic sunglasses make my face ultra sweaty, and i can never get them adjusted properly for my extremely unlevel ears. also, i find it worth the extra money to get the ultra lightweight lenses because my prescription is so unbalanced, and my left lens is so thick.

so, even though they seem to still be fine for my vision correction needs, my glasses are suffering from some age problems. some chipped finish, a few small blemishes on one lens, i had to get the nosepads replaced, that sort of thing, but they were holding up pretty well. not so anymore. saturday when i was getting ready for work, one whole side just fell off. it's not the hinge because that i could fix. the problem is that the hinge has broken free from the side piece, which is not reparable (trust me i got up early to take them in and see if i could have them repaired until my check gets here).

i have not broken out the super glue and/or tape yet, but will be very soon. so far i've just been going without. this is not fun, but is doable. because my right eye is actually not too bad (20/30-40 or so) it takes over and does most of the seeing. this is because my left eye is basically only good for not running into things, as i am legally blind in that eye (20/200) and can't even read the computer screen with it (i.e. the paragraphs are fuzzy blocks of grey). really, other than the lack of depth perception, it wouldn't be that bad if i hadn't gotten so used to having glasses and therefore good vision. i went without glasses for seven years before i discovered titanium frames, but now i just stand there and can notice the concentric circles of progressive fuzziness emanating from my location, and it drives me crazy.

the funny part is, after i keep telling my coworkers that no, i did not get contacts, they keep asking me how i got to work. if you found your way here and are bothering to read this without knowing me, i don't drive, with or without glasses. the funniest part is that i can actually pass a BMV vision exam because it's only required to have vision of 20/40 or better in one eye, regardless of how bad the other eye is. if you do have my vision issues, you must have exterior mirrors on your car, which is the only reason i know that you apparently don't have to have them as long as your vision is okay.

so, i'm really hoping it ends up being on the low end of the 2-3 weeks until my money gets here. and kicking myself for taking the slower check option instead of going direct deposit. i didn't know i was going to need it so soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word. I feel y'a on the glasses thing. I've held 'em together with tape a few times myself. (before contacts and before the telescope replaced my glasses)-Jessica

4/04/2007 4:50 PM

 
Blogger rabidmonkey said...

update: check arrived in today's mail. to the bank tomorrow, glasses soon. the tape is bugging me; feels weird where it touches my head.

4/13/2007 2:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home